Saturday, June 4, 2011

Why learning digital painting first is better than learning traditonal painting first. (According to my [new!] art teacher.)

So my teacher believes learning digital painting first is better than learning traditonally first because:
1. The paints don’t cost money.
2. Getting better at ahrt is all about mileage and painting digitally has very little setup time, as opposed to traditional painting.
3. The way he teaches digitally and traditionally is the same, so what you learn digitally can be applied to traditional painting.
Basically, the most important thing is that you can gain more mileage digitally during the time you would be setting up traditionally. However, this is just a theory he has and he has never been able to test it out…. until now. So I guess I’m his guinea pig? XD Well, I don’t mind as long as I get better!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Yeah I'm not sure how necessary traditional painting is, especially when you just want to learn how to digital paint.

    HOWEVER, I would say that painting traditionally gets you more familiar with colors. Every color you mix to put on your canvas has to thoroughly be thought out, as oppose to digitally where you just kinda move the cursor around to the color that seems right. ALSO, I think a lot of traditional techniques transfer over well to digital techniques like layering the paint.

    ...but I still prefer digital.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely agree with the theory, if the way you paint digitally is the same as painting traditionally. Getting used to how to use colors against each other or learning to shade takes a lot out of wasting canvases and paint trying to do it traditionally. Then, when you DO start using traditional medium, all you have to figure out is how to color mix and getting used to the feel of painting. But, I think it's better learning this from a professor rather than figuring it out yourself. In that sense I recommend traditional to digital....

    ReplyDelete